Tuesday, December 06, 2005

He Can Dish It Out But He Can't Take It

Saddam complained that his treatment amounts to terrorism.
NBC News reported that he also complained that he had been wearing the same shirt and underwear for three days and deprived of shower and exercise facilities. "This is terrorism," he said.
That's quite a disconnect from the testimony given today in his trial:
"Witness A" told the court how she and dozens of other families from the town of Dujail were arrested in a crackdown after a 1982 assassination attempt against Saddam.

Wadah al-Sheik, an Iraqi intelligence officer who died of cancer last month, ordered her to take off her clothes, she said, testifying from behind a light blue cloth curtain.

"I was forced to take off my clothes, and he raised my legs up and tied up my hands. He continued administering electric shocks and beating me," she said.

Several times, the woman broke down in tears, at one point moaning, "God is great. Oh, my Lord." She strongly suggested she had been raped, but did not say so outright.

When the judge asked her about the "assault," she said: "I was beaten up and tortured by electrical shocks."

The witness, who was 16 at the time of her arrest, repeated that she had been ordered to undress. She also said al-Sheik fired a gun at the wall to scare her.

"I begged them, but they hit with their pistols," she said. "They made me put my legs up. There were five or more and they treated me like a banquet. Is that what happens to the virtuous woman that Saddam speaks about?"

His victims were stripped, beaten, and raped but he complains abotu having to wear three-day-old underwear. Maybe he's going for an insanity defence.

No comments: