Tuesday, November 02, 2004

Voting in a swing state. I had a physical scheduled for this morning. I figured that I would vote first. This didn't quite work out.

My big problem was that my wife accidentally shut off my alarm which caused me to oversleep by around 20 minutes. I was just getting up when she called saying that I should get over to the polls as soon as possible.

I arrived there around fifteen minutes later. They were packed, both with voters and with Kerry supporters. MoveOn was there in force with tents both in front and behind the rec center where I was voting. There was also a big satellite TV truck there and a camera pointed at people in line.

People were backed out the door and halfway across the parking lot. I heard that the line had been longer a while earlier.

Democrats were handing out sample ballots. MoveOn folk were running around with clipboards. I don't know what they were doing. They were talking with people as they left and seemed to be collecting names.

Two people in front of me were talking about their efforts on behalf of Kerry. They had been passing around some secret letter that had convinced at least one Bush voter to change his mind. They felt that their pastor and other pastors nationwide should have been making this push weeks earlier.

A MoveOn person joined them and chatted politics as the line moved forward. Finally I pointed out that they were supposed to stay 100 feet outside of the polls and he was less than 20 feet from a voting machine (I could see it through an open door).

I was feeling a bit intimidated by this point.

As we got into the building an election worker was splitting people into separate lines according toward. Mine had a nice long line of its own.

I got within sight of the door where my precinct was voting when I ran out of time and had to go to the doctor's office.

There were Kerry supporters at the major intersections. I was sick of them by this time.

I got back a couple of hours later. The line outside the rec center was shorter (good thing - it was raining) but the line for my precinct was longer. It took two hours to get in and vote.

Ohio's polls officially close at 7:30. At this rate it will be after 10:00 before all of the votes are cast.

No comments: