Thursday, June 23, 2005

The ACLU and the AFA

I admit that I find it annoying when someone wants to convert me to their brand of Christianity. The last time it happened was at a New Years party, Dec. 1999. A woman wanted me to go out to the porch with her and accept Jesus Christ as my personal saviour, right that moment. When I declined she was insulted.

Prior to that, most of my high school friends were in a Baptist youth group (in the early 1970s) and tried to get me to join. I went to a few functions but I was never moved. No one was upset with me.

In general, I have found that people around twenty get excited when they discover religion and want to share with others. They are enthusiastic but seldom obnoxious about it.

I bring this up because of the investigation of the Air Force Academy and complaints about christian fundamentalism. I'd write more but here is a link that already says it all.

It's certainly reasonable for the AFA to foster a more tolerant institution. But it is reprehensible for cadets to be saddled with the concept of "impermissible expression of beliefs."

Shouldn't freedom of speech extend to those who actually protect those rights?

[...] Yet there are some groups, like Americans United for Separation of Church and State and the American Civil Liberties Union, with the help of some Democrats in Congress, that denigrate and undercut religious freedom at every turn.
It also touches on the Conyers "hearings" which included a witness who insisted that Jews and Israel were responsible for 9/11. At the same time, activists were handing out flyers with this libel at the Democratic national headquarters.

Between that and persistent talk about "the root causes of 9/11" meaning Us support for Israel, why do any jews vote Democrat?

No comments: