Thursday, August 02, 2007

Obama Retrenches

If I didn't know better I'd think that Obama reads my blog. No sooner do I point out his potential problems in wooing the dove wing of the Democrats than he redefines his position.

Yes, he is still for an immediate pull-out from Iraq. He sees no purpose in the US troops being there. Instead he would use them to invade Pakistan - a friendly government.

I'm afraid that he lost me. Yes, there are AQ in Pakistan and they are gaining influence. The problem is that they will gain a lot more influence if we are seen pushing Pakistan's government too hard.

Then there is the whole unseemly problem of invading an ally. It would be different if the Pakistani government was inviting us in in greater numbers to fight AQ but they aren't. Instead they are incensed when innocents are killed.

I'm also a bit hazy on the idea of abandoningIraq in order to pursue AQ. What about AQ in Iraq? What if we pull our of Iraq and bin Laden moves in. Will we invade again?

Obama is making really basic mistakes, the sort of mistakes you would expect from a first-term senator with no foreign policy experience. Hillary is actually starting to look good in comparison.

No comments: