Wednesday, September 15, 2004

Mr. X tells what it is like to be a Republican in the heart of Manhattan.

I've had people walk away from me in midsentence at parties. One, a regular contributor to The New York Review of Books, moved to the opposite side of the room after we spoke but he kept stealing looks at me in a strange way throughout the evening - not just my observation, but confirmed by my wife.


Again, note the intolerance of the Left for the Right. Also the Hitler references.

This line of thinking knows no bounds. Case in point: One night, my wife and I went to hear Maurice Sendak and Tony Kushner discuss their collaborative book on the Holocaust at the 92nd Street Y. It was the typically erudite crowd you would expect at this kind of event. But when the topic came to a discussion of real evil and how to teach this to children, Mr. Kushner explained that, in his view, real evil did not just exist 60 years ago in the guise of Adolf Hitler.

"Dare I say it?" Mr. Kushner asked aloud with a conspiratorial smile,"[What about] George W. Bush?"
They're so busy hating Bush they don't even listen to themselves any longer.

No comments: